Getting a new roof or making repairs can be a big investment, so its important you find the right roofing contractor for your needs. Here are some things to look for in a roofing specialist to make sure you’re getting a good deal.
- Make Sure They’re Legit: A contractor should have a legitimate business name, address, and phone number for their company. Not only will this allow you to check on their legitimacy as a business, but you can check on the company’s previous clients and dealings.
- Experience is Key: Ask them how long they have been in business. In roofing, a contractor’s experiences can be just at, if not more important than the quality of materials they use. An improperly installed roof will be short-lived and could result in water or structural damage to your home.
- Get References: Ask the contractor for some professional references, or do a little digging yourself on the internet or through the BBB, Either way, make sure that the specialist’s past performance is up to par with your standards.
- Paperwork: It’s important to make sure that they licensed contractors and have met all of the legal requirement to do work where you live. Having insurance is also very important. If they do not have adequate workers comp and liability insurance you could be held liable for injuries or medical expenses.
- Materials: Make sure that the materials the contractor uses are to your standards. Ask about the quality, price, components, anything you have to to make sure you will be happy with your new roof.
- Employees: Ensure that your contractor’s employees have proper training and experience. Even if your contractor is experienced, that does not guarantee that everyone working on your roof will be and could still lead to an improperly installed roof.
- Work Ethic: Your contractor should have a good work ethic and be enthusiastic about their work. Finding a contractor that takes pride in their work will increase the chance that the job is done to your liking and everything goes smoothly.
- Get It in Writing: Get all contracts and guarantees in writing. Contracts should cover the entire project: list of materials, start/end dates, costs etc.
Lastly, make sure that your contractor is simply someone you like and would be able to trust and communicate with. After all, you’re the one shelling out the money, so make sure it is a decision that you are comfortable and happy with. Check out a company like Gopher Roofing & Remodeling for an idea of what you might need in a roofing contractor. Good luck and thanks for reading!